Thursday, November 10, 2011

Domaine de Villalin Quincy 2010

Quincy is a small Loire Valley appellation down the road from Sancerre that makes wines from Sauvignon Blanc only. I've mentioned in past posts that Sancerre is without a doubt my favorite Sauvignon Blanc and this version from nearby has a lot of the same qualities for a lower price. Yes the Domaine de Villalin Quincy is just a bit outside my everyday price range at $15.99, but this wine is really tasty. It's got all the grapefruit and lemon zest qualities that you expect from this grape and it has the same chalky minerality that really defines Sauvignon Blanc from this region in general. Imported by one of my favorites, Polaner Selections, this organically produced wine is a delicious selection to have with shellfish, cod or grilled trout. Cheers.

2 comments:

  1. This wine is better than most Sancerre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Clotpoll. I would certainly agree in part as there are Sancerres out there that don't live up to their billing. But producers like Lucien Crochet, Pascal Jolivet, Hippolyte Reverdy, Fournier and Paul Cherrier to name just a few, are producing wonderful Sancerres year in and year out. I guess I'm a bit spoiled here in New Jersey as we have so many excellent small distributors with wonderful portfolios.

    ReplyDelete